Consumer Tips & Advice
- Repair, Replace and Refund
As a consumer you have a right to have a repair, a replacement or a refund in cases where you bought a product from a shop and that product is not reasonably fit for the purpose, not of good quality, not in a good working order or defective and is not useable or durable.
You may return with the product within a period of 6 months after purchase and unless the good is not fit for the purpose the supplier shall repair, a replacement or a refund.
Normally, the supplier shall repair the product in not more than 60 days and replace the product or refund you in 24 hours.
You are not entitled a repair, replacement or a refund if were given something you asked for because of a simple change of mind, found it cheaper elsewhere or you don’t like the product or had no use for it.
- “No refunds” “Goods once sold are not returnable” or “No exchange”
These signs are illegal, misleading and should not be displayed in any shops supplying goods or services.
A consumer has a right to return a good if the good is found to be defective in order to obtain a remedy from a supplier.
- Receipts – If you did not get one ask for one!
It is your right as a consumer and the responsibility of a supplier of goods and services to give you a receipt or proof of purchase after any purchase made.
It is also your responsibility as a consumer to ask for a receipt should the supplier failed to give you one.
A receipt or proof of purchase should include:
- The supplier’s full name or registered business name
- The address
- The date
- Description of goods or services supplied
- The unit price of the goods or services supplied
- The quantity of the goods or services supplied
- The total price of the transaction excluding VAT
- The amount of VAT
- The total price of the transaction including VAT
As a consumer it is your responsibility to keep safe your proof of purchase for you to be able to use your rights to obtain a “Repair, replace and refund”. A supplier will ask you to produce your proof of purchase.